August 6

Steamed Windows Theme Homework

I think 1 of the themes in this story is loss. I felt loss in this story when Alexia said that she loved music but couldn’t hear it anymore.

I think the author is trying to tell us that there are deaf people all around us and all around the world and we should learn to respect them and know that it can happen to you when ever. I saw an example of this when  Alexia and her mother were using the whiteboard as a way to communicate.

I think that people who might connect to this story are people who have been deaf since they were born or tragically lost there hearing some time in their life. i have a connection to this because i watched a video on this boy who was deaf and he had to use sign language to communicate to his friends and family

A part in the story that is figurative is when Alexia is talking about how she can sometimes hear music but its in a sound proof box and she is out side the box.

This is the exact sentence:

It’s the only thing, if I really, really listen I can sometimes hear it, but it’s quiet, muted. It’s like its playing, softly inside a sound proof room and I’m outside the door, sitting and straining to hear. 

When she says its like shes showing that it is an example and that its not the complete truth.

She shows that she wants to hear music again but can’t.

A repeating pattern in this story is that she is always saying she’s deaf and that her whole life has changed because she can’t listen to music. I think it shows that she used to express her self through music but now that she can’t listen to music anymore so she is lost and it shows that she showed her thoughts and opinions through music but no longer can because she can’t listen to music.

I think that what the author is trying to convey is that we should not take anything for granted because we could have our whole life perfect one minute and the next minute we could have it all gone. The author shows this when she said that Alexia woke up from amnesia and felt quite stressed that she could see people talking but she could not hear them. I felt this showed that we should not take our senses for granted and that we should feel very privileged of having our senses.

Posted August 6, 2017 by tiana2014 in category Literacy, summaries